Ping is a payment method that lets you make or receive instant payments. This can be done via credit or debit cards, bank transfer, or Ping balance.
Ping is only available across Marketplace categories.
Buying and topping up with Ping
You can save bank account and credit or debit card info to Ping, which you can use to pay for purchases on-site and to top up your Trade Me account. You can edit, update or remove your saved Ping payment method at any time.
To use a bank account to pay with Ping, your account will need to be verified.
Verify your account
- We’ll put $0.01 into your bank account, along with a reference code. The transaction will take 1–2 business days to reach your account.
- When the payment appears, find the reference in the ‘Code’ field of your statement.
- Head back to 'Manage Ping', pop the code in and you’re good to go.
Note: To use a bank account to pay with Ping, you must have received feedback at least 10 times and have a rating of 98% or higher.
You can use credit/debit cards, saved bank account or your Ping balance via Ping when you’re topping up your Trade Me account.
There are no fees when paying or topping up via Ping. Ping also offers Buyer Protection.
Withdrawing from Ping
If you'd like to withdraw your Ping balance – we can help.
Selling with Ping
Ping is a payment option you can select when creating a listing.
If a buyer pays with Ping, their payment will instantly appear in your Ping balance, less a 1.95% transactional fee. You can leave it there to pay for Trade Me purchases, or transfer it to your bank account.
Ping cannot be used on listings over $10,000.
Refunding Ping payments
If a trade can’t be completed, and the buyer has paid with Ping or Afterpay, you can refund them – this amount will be refunded into their Ping balance or into the buyer’s card used for the Afterpay transaction.
- Head to your ‘Sold’ listings through ‘My Trade Me’ on the desktop site.
- Select the listing you want to refund.
- Under ‘Post auction activity’, select ‘Payment received’.
- Next to the paid amount, select ‘Issue refund’.
- Select the amount you wish to refund, and follow the prompts.
Any Ping fees will also be refunded.
The ins and outs of Ping, and how you can buy and sell using it.