Upcoming Shipping Templates changes
Find out about the changes we're making to shipping options, and how it affects you.
From 30 September, we're making changes to shipping options, for listing tool users:
- Shipping Templates will be required on Buy Now only listings, created using listing tools.
- Free text shipping options will no longer be available.
- 'Bulky / overweight item' or 'To be arranged' will still be available to use.
- Products not updated by 30 September won’t relist – until they’re updated to the new Shipping Templates format.
If you don't use a listing tool (e.g. listing directly on trademe.co.nz or the mobile app), these changes don't apply to you.
What are shipping templates?
Shipping Templates show buyers up-front shipping information, based on their location.
What this means for you
Using a listing tool
- Templates only need to be set up once, and can be bulk applied to your products.
- Different templates can be created for different packaging sizes and types of items.
Learn how to create Shipping Templates:
If you’re using a different listing tool, contact your provider.
Using the desktop site or mobile app
- Nothing changes for you – keep being awesome!
- If you want to use Shipping Templates, try our free listing tool My Products.
Shipping Templates have the option to add an extra per-item charge, so buyers can easily purchase multiple items from you.
- When creating or editing a Shipping Template, select + Add combined shipping option.
- Buyers will see this on your listing as ‘Combine with another item you've paid shipping on’.
- Choose the amount to charge buyers, when combining shipping with another item they’ve bought from you.
Already offering free shipping? Nice!
With Shipping Templates, buyers will see 'Free shipping' and expected delivery time in search results. All you need to do is:
- Create a new shipping template.
- Select the option for Free shipping.
- Pop in your handling times, then save the template.
- Once that's saved, you'll be able to bulk edit your listings and apply the shipping template you've saved.
Why we're doing this
Research tells us this is what buyers want. More detailed shipping information means we can:
- Calculate estimated delivery for buyers, including handling time.
- Show shipping costs and estimated delivery times in search results.
- Highlight sellers with the best shipping options.
Rich info in search results makes it easier for buyers to decide what to buy. A better buying experience is also great for sellers, and can help improve conversion.
Why can't I use Shipping Templates?
- Shipping Templates aren’t available on the desktop site or the mobile apps. Try our free listing tool, My Products.
- If you use a third-party system that doesn’t yet support Shipping Templates, tell your provider you’d like them to support this.
Why can't I add my own text?
- With pre-set shipping options for most NZ carriers, extra text isn’t needed.
- We can show buyers more personalised and accurate shipping information in search results.
- Consistency across listings makes shipping options easier to understand.
What about freight and oversized items?
- We’ve included heaps of shipping options to choose from.
- If your option isn’t available, select Other.
- If your freight situation is more complex or nuanced, select Bulky / overweight freight or To be arranged.
- We’ll continue to add more freight options over time.
What about Book a Courier estimates?
- We’re working on enabling Book a Courier estimates in the new shipping templates.
- This will be available before 30 September. We’ll let you know when it’s ready.
How do I add an option for standard post?
- We'll be adding more product options soon.
- In the meantime, select Other for 'Carrier', then select the most appropriate product option.
I don’t ship every day – how do I set this up?
- If your handling times vary, consider setting your handling time as an average.
- If anything, it’s best to overestimate handling times so buyers aren’t disappointed.
What about auctions?
- We encourage professional sellers to use Buy Now only listings.
- Auctions aren’t affected by these changes, and will still use old shipping options after 30 September.