Gas appliance safety
Let us know if you think an item isn't up to the right product safety standard. We need to know how, and which standard. If damage has made the goods unsafe, let us know what's wrong.
NZ law requires all electrical appliance items sold to consumers to be safe.
Gas appliances need to be safe, and sellers must follow set out by MBIE's requirements:
All gas appliances must have a Supplier Declaration of Compliance (SDoC) is required before they can be sold. To sell your item on Trade Me, you must have this documentation and be prepared to supply it where required.
Gas Appliance Database
The importer or manufacturer must register the appliance on Energy Safety's Gas Appliance Database . If it is not in the database, it can't be legally sold in New Zealand.
Supplying requested paperwork
- The Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment’s Energy Safety team can ask for your documentation at any time.
- You must supply it within 10 days or you risk a $3,000 fine for a company, or a $1,000 fine if you are an individual.
- Members who fail to supply the requested documentation to Energy Safety risk having listings removed and their membership restricted or suspended.
- To sell your item on Trade Me, you must have your documentation and be prepared to supply it where required.
- If requested, we expect this to be supplied within 48 hours.
- Members who fail to supply the requested documentation to Trade Me risk having listings removed and their membership restricted or suspended.
Appliances with gas and electricity
Appliances supplied by both electricity and gas will have obligations under both electricity and gas regulations.
For example, a gas water heater that needs an electrical supply is both a gas appliance and an electrical appliance.
Caravans and motorhomes
Many caravans have gas cookers and other gas appliances installed and are therefore subject to the same regulations – they're required to be declared to the Gas Appliance Database and have the appropriate documentation.
If you're importing a caravan you are deemed an ‘importer’ and you must make the declaration before listing the unit on Trade Me.
- Energy Safety's guide to supplying safe electrical and gas products .