Proof of goods
Learn about our proof of goods process, and what to do if we've asked for more info about your listing.
Here's what to do if we've asked for info about your listing.
What we need from you
Follow the instructions in the email we've sent you
If you can't find the email, here's what we'll usually need form you:
- Find a physical publication from the last two weeks – such as a newspaper, receipt, or utility bill. It must have the date visible on it, and needs to be dated in the last week or so.
- Take a photo – of your goods with the publication in the same photo.
- Send the image to us – get in touch.
- We'll review the details – and let you know the outcome via email.
Sometimes, we might also request proof of your identification.
Note: we can't accept electronic documents.
What happens next?
Other traders can't see that we've requested info about your item.
Before the image is reviewed and accepted
- the listing can't be edited
- questions can't be answered
- buyers can still bid, but the listing can't close with a successful bidder
- the buy now won't be available.
Any restrictions will be lifted once the proof of goods has been reviewed and approved.
Why we do this
We have a duty of care to keep Trade Me a safe and trusted place to buy second-hand items.
- Sellers must have goods in their possession to be able to sell them.
- We sometimes run random checks, to make sure the seller has the goods in their possession.