Note: Pay Now will soon be retired as a payment service, and will be replaced by Ping. Pay Now accounts are still needed to use Afterpay.
Pay Now allows you to pay instantly for your purchases by credit or debit card on Trade Me.
When buyers win an auction, they make payment and provide delivery details to the seller in one easy step, without leaving Trade Me. Sellers get instant confirmation of payment and delivery address, and the payments are deposited into their nominated bank account within 3 business days.
Paying by Pay Now also means we've got your back with Buyer Protection
Buyers don't need to register with Pay Now to buy with Pay Now, but sellers will need to register to include Pay Now on their listings.
To register for Pay Now, you'll just need a New Zealand bank account.
- When you register for Pay Now, we'll make a $0.01 deposit into your bank account with an activation code (it may take 2-3 days for the code to show on your statement.) You need to enter this activation code on your 'My Trade Me' page to activate your Pay Now account.
- Once you've entered your code, your registration is complete. You'll then be asked if you want to automatically add Pay Now to all of your listings (it will also apply to any items you relist.) If any of your listings offer 'Credit Card' as a payment option, they will automatically be updated to offer Pay Now. This is because Pay Now replaces 'Credit Card' as an option if you are Pay Now registered.
- Once you have registered for Pay Now you can accept credit card payments on your Trade Me listings – just choose Pay Now as a payment option when listing items.
Important things to know
- Sellers need to send the goods within three days of receiving payment notification from us.
- Sellers cannot charge extra for Pay Now payments.
- Sellers agree not to send goods to countries other than New Zealand or Australia.
Sellers can issue a full or partial refund for items purchased with Pay Now.
To issue a refund, sellers can click on the 'Payment received' button on the auction from their 'Sold items' page, then select the 'Issue refund' link. Easy peasy!
You can issue only one refund per purchase, and your Pay Now fees will be automatically refunded. Full refunds result in all associated transaction fees being refunded, and for partial refunds, only the fees on the portion of the sale will be refunded.
The bank may reverse a payment if a buyer successfully disputes that they were not responsible for a charge on their card. In the event of a disputed payment, we'll provide the bank with evidence of the purchase and may require additional information from the seller, such as proof of postage. In the event of a successful dispute, the value of the transaction will be deducted from the sellers Pay Now account.
Are all my listings eligible for Pay Now?
Your listings must have well-defined shipping options that cost less than $600, and be valued at less than $8,000 to be eligible for Pay Now.
Which credit card types are accepted?
Your credit or debit card details are secure and encrypted. There are several credit and debit cards you can use to make a payment to a seller via Pay Now. These are:
American Express is not accepted for Pay Now transactions.
How do I add Pay Now to my listings?
When you register for Pay Now you'll be asked if you want to automatically add Pay Now to all of your listings (including items you relist.) You can also select Pay Now as a payment option when listing an item.
Once you have registered, any listings with 'Credit card' selected as a payment option will automatically update to Pay Now. Sellers are not able to offer Pay Now as well as the 'Credit card' option.
How do I know when a buyer has paid?
We'll email you confirmation as soon as the buyer successfully pays. The payment confirmation email will include the buyer’s delivery address. This will also display on your 'Sold items' page.
How long does it take to see payment in my bank account?
Typically, payments appear in your bank account within three business days, due to clearance and processing times.
How often are payments made into my bank account?
We will make one deposit per business day into your bank account, consisting of all cleared payments owing to you.
How do I keep track of my payments?
You can track all of your payments through your Pay Now account ledger on My Trade Me. The Pay Now account ledger shows a history of your payments received, fees, payments made into your bank account and the balance owing to you.
What does Pay Now cost?
Pay Now costs nothing for buyers. For sellers, Pay Now payments incur a fee of 1.95% of the total value of the purchase, including shipping costs (1.65% for Top Sellers). Pay Now fees are additional to any success fees you incur on sale.
How are Pay Now fees deducted?
Pay Now fees are deducted from the purchase amount. For example, if your listing sells for a total of $100 (incl. shipping), we will automatically deduct $1.95, and you will receive $98.05 into your bank account.